What's On?

Make sure you check out the What's On? calendar at the bottom of my blog for upcoming student group and Guild events!!

Monday 10 August 2009

Hello from your VPSAD!!

I’ve absolutely loved my time at the University of Birmingham, and it was the people I met along the way that made me realise I have the skill and the passion to improve the student experience. Here’s a bit about how I got to where I am now, writing my blog as your Vice President Student Activities and Development...


My life in Birmingham started in the mighty Tennis Courts back in 2006, studying Business Management in my spare time :). I thought I would be heavily involved in societies and volunteering considering my involvement before University, however I got slightly distracted by the socializing and nightlife my new home had to offer. I did however, get myself sorted for a part time job – I needed some way to fund my ‘extra-curricular’ activities after all! Job hunting and an interview landed me at the Alumni Office deleting bounced emails from their inbox…not very glamorous but paid a good wage and they were very considerate regarding my Uni work and holidays. It wasn’t too long before my eagerness and interest in the wider activities of the Alumni Office meant I got ‘promoted’ from bounced emails to helping organize alumni events, putting together marketing, and networking at events – a job i absolutely loved and stayed in until taking up post in the Guild.



I became more involved in the Guild (Fab aside!!) towards the end of my first year when I was told about Carnage and the Hitch Hikes that Carnival RAG organised for charity. I raised nearly £250 on my first hitch hike to Edinburgh, and it felt amazing to be getting back into volunteering in such a fun way. I began helping out the committee more and more, stewarding events and navigating on the hitch hike Safety (ahem LOSER) Bus. Highlight of 2nd year has to be Pink Aid – anyone who went will know what I mean!! In third year I decided to run for committee – I knew I would be relatively busy with the small matter of Uni work, but I felt so strongly about being part of a great cause I didn’t want to miss out, and so I ran for the Publicity role to draw on my interest in marketing and being creative. I also organized a couple of events for Carnival, such as the 80’s Workout and Ladies Night – the best thing about societies is that the opportunities are endless.

Despite originally not knowing that Student Reps were actually a system run by the Guild, I also was involved in being a Business School Student Rep during my third year. I also helped at Business School open days as an ambassador, and always enjoyed showing off the wealth of opportunities and experience to be found at the Guild to prospective students.I decided to run for the position of Vice President Student Activities and Development during third year for a number of reasons, but mainly because this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to pull all the skills and passion I have together for a really amazing cause. The campaign was an absolute blast and I fully encourage people to get involved in a campaign team – unless you are running yourself of course!! My blog from the campaign can be found at http://votepacman.weebly.com/ if you are interested! If I had to name three things about me which I feel will really help me in my role they would be: CREATIVITY, PRACTICALITY AND FUN-LOVING!!

Some random things about me:....I have been involved in charity and volunteering work since a young’un, and it means a lot to me. I'm a terrible vegetarian (I can't say no to some crispy bacon or pork scratchings!). My favourite colour is pink, and I love anything leopard print. I love fancy dress and going to live gigs and festivals. My favourite flavour crisps are Worcester Sauce. I love cooking and all cooking programmes. My favourite foods are: onion bajis, Pizza Express Bosco salad (with goats cheese instead of mushrooms yuk), and Mexican food. I'm grade 6 on the piano, have had a go at guitar and violin (but was pretty useless!). I love home-made Karaoke. I like rock music and Britney Spears. I love the history of things – my Alumni Office leaving present was the history of the University of Birmingham – ace!!



So, I hope you have an absolutely great year and I hope to make your experience absolutely memorable!! Please get in touch if you want to have a chat, know anything more about the role, or want to have your say about how the Guild is run!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry everyone!! Been away for best part of two weeks!! Thanks for actually reading my blog though!!

    ReplyDelete