What's On?

Make sure you check out the What's On? calendar at the bottom of my blog for upcoming student group and Guild events!!

Monday 2 November 2009

Challenge Emma
Purple Mermaid Circus Society challenged me at the Student Group Megaforum to do fire spinning at the Vale Fireworks…so I went along last Monday to their meeting to start learning poi! I can spin them in a circle, which perhaps isn’t quite what they had in mind, but my other tricks look a bit of a mess! Good fun though, and hopefully I will see
a few of you about on Friday to show your support/have a good laugh as I try to keep up with the pros!! I was also challenged by ArtSoc to take part in their life drawing class (drawing, not posing!), the pictures are on my wall in my office if anyone wants a look! It was great to see such a turn out, must have been 30 people, and it was a fantastic calming experience in between my busy days! I went along to the Krishna Consciousness society meditation event, which was fascinating and very interesting. The concepts brought forward were open for discussion, and the breathing exercises really got oxygen around the body!! I also popped in to see the InterVol presentations in Student Development, on the trips students made last year. There were lots of interested students listening, and the projects some of our members have taken part in are absolutely amazing and inspirational – best of luck to the members wanting to volunteer abroad this year!

NUS Zone Conference Unfortunately, I missed Guild Council on Thursday (if anyone would like to send any comments or questions, please email me vpsad@guild.bham.ac.uk) due to being at the NUS Union Development zone conference. I went along to workshops on the new media and online campaigning, and communication strategy. There were also talks and discussions on NUS policy, NUS accountability, and the Wave of Change within the Student Movement.

Equal Pay Day panel discussion A huge thank you to the speakers and all who attended, it was a really interesting discussion and debate. The campaign gained over 600 signatures calling for tighter equality measures, and the women’s association did a fantastic job of raising the awareness with students on campus – well done!

University Meetings
The management team and I met up with the Alumni and Development Office to see we can work together, in terms of promoting our services to both of our
member-base, potential funding channels, and combining open day’s at the University.


This week....
  • I will be putting the final bits of Multi-Cultural/Inter-faith week together to start promoting.
  • Practicing Poi spinning!!
  • Psychology department quality assurance review (half a day)
  • Visiting University Central Kitchen woop woop
  • Student Group Committee
  • Get Involved campaign working group
  • Vale Fireworks
  • Student Volunteering week working group
  • Full building tour of the Guild (apparently it takes 3 hours if done properly - there must be a lot of hidden gems!!)
Sorry it’s a quick update – busy busy week catching up from being out of office for a couple of days last week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment